Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Http Server (2)

After finishing the my iteration of the Http Server, here's a few things a I learned:

I kind of like explicitly typed languages


I can't explain it, but I am somehow my comfortable programming in explicitly typed languages. There is something very comforting about knowing exactly what you are working with at all times.  I like not having to guess all the time. That's not to say that I don't like implicitly typed languages, but I don't have the same ease when working with them.

Not all IDE's are evil


During the first half of college I dabbled with using Eclipse and Xcode. I didn't like either. Then I switched to using TextMate. Then I switched to Vim. Then I switched back to TextMate. Then I became a .Net developer. So, naturally I started using Visual Studio. I never liked it. Visual Studio does way to much for you. Some developers like it, but, I think I'll pass on the 3-5 minute start up time. Right now, I'm at an awkward spot where I'm not in love with any editor or IDE. So, when I came to 8th Light and saw that lots of people were using IntelliJ, I wasn't too excited about it. However, at the strong encouragement of Micah, I decided to use it for my server. I must say, IntelliJ is a happy medium. I doesn't do too much for you, but it doesn't enough to save you a lot of hassle. This probably won't be the last time I use it.

Java Logging sucks


After messing around with the Java Logger forever, I decided to ditch it. It's just not worth it. Sure, it's nice if you need to write to the console and file with one interface, but it's not easy to use. In my opinion, it was poorly designed. Root loggers, parent loggers, default handlers and singletons are way to much complication for something that is just supposed to write informational messages for me. I'm considering writing my own Logger for Java. But, in the mean time, I'm just going to use print lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment